Found the following angle to be probing. mjm
The Gospel is not merely a…
1) Creation Day Only gospel: focused upon humans as made in the image of God, the Eikon of God; seeing nothing but potential, potential, potential.
2) Fall Day Only gospel: focused upon humans as sinners, as polluted morally, as messed up mentally, as disturbed in the soul, and as unconquerable in the body; seeing nothing but ruin, ruin, ruin.
3) Good Friday Only gospel: seeing everything happening at the Cross; seeing nothing but forgiveness, forgiveness, forgiveness.
4) Easter Day Only gospel: focused upon Jesus raised for our sins to liberate us from death and sin; seeing nothing but liberty, liberty, liberty.
5) Pentecost Day Only gospel: focused upon Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to flood us with his presence; seeing nothing but ecstasy, ecstasy, ecstasy and/or empowerment, empowerment, empowerment.
The gospel needs each of these elements to be what the Bible wants it to be: we are Eikons, cracked Eikons, who need to be forgiven, liberated, and empowered to be Eikons who live with other Eikons in such a way that “God happens” wherever we are.
~Scot McKnight (www.jesuscreed.org)
[modified by mjm)